Highway 41 leaving Johnsonville, 1954

Title

Highway 41 leaving Johnsonville, 1954

Description

Highway 41 leaving Johnsonville, 1954. Near the horizon Railroad Ave and the railroad track intersects 41. The road hooks right at the horizon toward Lynches River. The farm to the left is the R. W. Turner farm. The building in the foreground was a corn barn with a shed on the rear. The Gaster farm bordered the Turner farm closer to town, passed down from the Johnson family. To the right was the James Graham farm, which was sold to Wellman Combing Company. Wellman was constructed behind the Wellman Texaco Gas Station (center left).
Wellman would allow their employees to have a charge account there that was deducted from their weekly checks, A sheep pasture was conducted across the road.
Wellman was a full service gas station. Gene Dennis and Robert Hooks were the cheerful attendants; they pumped the gas, cleaned windshields, checked the oil and also serviced cars and sold & mounted tires.

Contributor

David Mace

Files

Josh_0001.jpg

Collection

Citation

“Highway 41 leaving Johnsonville, 1954,” Johnsonville SC History, accessed March 22, 2019, https://www.johnsonvilleschistory.org/items/show/194.

Geolocation

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking