Places

Title

Places

Subject

Places, Buildings, and Sites in and around Johnsonville

Collection Items

Bartell's Crossroads
Bartell's Crossroads is located between Johnsonville and Indiantown. The two-story structure at the crossroads was built circa 1935. It was a country store operated by Vasker Calvineau Bartell and Elnora Cox Bartell. Elnora also worked at Wellman…

Little Star Free Will Baptist Church, Prospect
Photo shows the original sanctuary of Little Star Free Will Baptist Church in the Prospect Community. This building was moved to make room for the new sanctuary and is now restored as a vacation home on Black River.

New Hope Free Will Baptist Church circa 1950s
Image shows the old sanctuary for New Hope Free Will Baptist Church of the Pentecostal Faith, located on New Hope Road in Possum Fork. This sanctuary was replaced by a new building in the 1960s.

Ebenezer Methodist Church 1920
Ebenezer Methodist Church (AKA Muddy Creek Methodist Church), 1920. Includes identification of most of the members pictured

Wellman Industries
Photo shows the main building at Wellman Industries, no specific date or source listed.

Dedication for New Hemingway Motel c. 1965
Dedication of the new Hemingway Motel, aka The Coachman Inn.
L to R: J. P. Askins, Jr., Merrett E. Morris, L. Durwood Lewis, Aubrey Lewis, Senator Strom Thurmond.

The Big Store at Ard's Crossroads
The store was a partnership of Julian David Brown and Huggins Bros. Lumber Co. Julian ran the store. His father, Walter Brown, worked in the store while he was teaching. There were gas pumps (not in use) under the shed in the 1950s.

Thomas Franklin Hanna Home
Homestead built by Thomas Franklin Hanna (1881-1938) & Nekoda Laharp Altman (1882-1941). Thomas was the son of Franklin Evander "Vander" Hanna and Julia Ann Grier. Nekoda was the daughter of Daniel Webster Altman and Margaret Elizabeth "Maggie"…

Johnsonville Colored School pre-1924
This school known as the "Johnsonville Colored School" served African American students in Johnsonville. A new more modern school was constructed between 1924-1925 as part of the Rosenwald School Fund.

Sheep at the Wellman Research Project
Wellman spent time circa 1956 researching sheep that might be better acclimated to South Carolina's weather. C. H. Mudge acted as herdsman for the project. The sheep pasture was across Highway 41 from the Wellman Texaco Station.

Union School, Georgetown County
Union High School, Graded School, and Teacher's Boarding Home.
Union School was located in Georgetown County at the intersection of Henry Road (512) and County Line Road (513).

Johnsonville Town Hall purchases new lawn equipment - 1954
Photo of lawn equipment in front of town hall, 1954

Johnsonville Agriculture and Cannery, pre-1950
Shows the "log cabin" at the old Johnsonville High School campus.

Al and Hannah Altman Erwin - First wedding at Westside FWB - July 4 1957
Al and Hannah Altman Erwin - First wedding at Westside FWB - July 4 1957. Westside's sanctuary was completed in 1956.

Vox Crossroads
Various images from Vox Crossroads:
Vox Crossroads - Google Street View 2008
Mike, Ken, and Ronnie Powell circa 1949
Vox Grocery - run by Ted and Norma Hanna circa 2000
Ken Powell circa 1949
Vox Grocery - Ted Hanna circa 2000
Bill Burris…

Johnsonville High School, 1938
This photo from the 1939 Gold and Black yearbook shows the high school building before the wings were added in 1940.

Location of Aimwell Presbyterian Church
Aimwell Presbyterian Church was located along what is now Old River Road, approximately at the intersection of Old River Road and McWhite Circle. The approximate coordinates are 33°56'28.2"N 79°29'50.4"W.

The Aimwell burial ground still exists and…

Old Johnsonville Methodist Church
Old Johnsonville Methodist Church - original sanctuary. 1872-1960.
View all 142 items

Comments

Allowed tags: <p>, <a>, <em>, <strong>, <ul>, <ol>, <li>

Social Bookmarking