Saint Luke Colored School served black students near Kingsburg during segregation. The school was closely associated with and located near Saint Luke A.M.E. Church at 539 Chinaberry Road, Johnsonville.
Bartell's Crossroads is located between Johnsonville and Indiantown. The two-story structure at the crossroads was built circa 1935. It was a country store operated by Vasker Calvineau Bartell and Elnora Cox Bartell. Elnora also worked at Wellman…
Photo shows the original sanctuary of Little Star Free Will Baptist Church in the Prospect Community. This building was moved to make room for the new sanctuary and is now restored as a vacation home on Black River.
The store was a partnership of Julian David Brown and Huggins Bros. Lumber Co. Julian ran the store. His father, Walter Brown, worked in the store while he was teaching. There were gas pumps (not in use) under the shed in the 1950s.
Homestead built by Thomas Franklin Hanna (1881-1938) & Nekoda Laharp Altman (1882-1941). Thomas was the son of Franklin Evander "Vander" Hanna and Julia Ann Grier. Nekoda was the daughter of Daniel Webster Altman and Margaret Elizabeth "Maggie"…
This school known as the "Johnsonville Colored School" served African American students in Johnsonville. A new more modern school was constructed between 1924-1925 as part of the Rosenwald School Fund.
Wellman spent time circa 1956 researching sheep that might be better acclimated to South Carolina's weather. C. H. Mudge acted as herdsman for the project. The sheep pasture was across Highway 41 from the Wellman Texaco Station.