St. Mark AME Church
Four years following the close of the Civil War, St. Mark A.M.E. church was established in 1869 in what was then called Savage, SC (currently Kingsburg, SC). St. Mark and St. Luke A.M.E. Churches, according to available records, were founded by Rev. J. Woody. The origin of the churches was no different from other black churches being organized during this period in history. They started under "brush-arbors". People came from near and far by wagons, buggys, and foot to hear this "voice in the wilderness". On the first and third Sundays, services were held at St. Mark, and on the second and fourth Sundays, services were held at St.Luke. Fifth Sundays were alternating Sundays by the churches.
The original site of the "brush-arbors" were St. Mark on the present St. Mark Cemetery and St. Luke on the right side of Jerome Parker's home. During the late 1890's or early 1900's the churches moved to their present sites.
In 1908, both St. Mark and St. Luke, according to available records, entered new buildings under the dynamic leadership of Rev. S. A. Robinson. Rev. Robinson was assigned to the Kingsburg Circuit on January 7. 1906. Evidence of his work is noted by the cornerstone at the head of St. Mark Church. The churches, through God's guidance grew rapidly being the only black churches in the area. The membership reached its apex of 1100 members during the late 1940's and early 1950's.
The changing economy presented a hardship on the membership at these churches. A decrease in farming caused a mass migration to the Northern part of the United States of St. Mark's and St. Luke's members. However, through God's guidance, the churches continued to prosper. In 1966, under the leadership of Rev. G. T. Curry, St. Luke built a new edifice. In a short period following the completion of St. Luke, St. Mark was renovated. The motivating forces that compelled this Zion to move on continues to thrive in the members.
In the meantime, the churches were separated in 1929 by the Northeast Annual Conference. Rev. Jackson was assigned to St. Mark and Rev. Jordan was assigned to St. Luke. The separation lasted only one year. In 1930, because of unforeseen difficulties, they were put back together. This marriage lasted until October 8, 1986.
The Kingsburg Circuit was terminated September 16, 1986. St. Mark and St. Luke became separate station churches during the 95th Session of the Northeast South Carolina Annual Conference under the leadership of Bishop F. C. James, Presiding Prelate of the Seventh Episcopal District.
St. Mark and St. Luke Churches became independent in 1986. However, presently, the Churches continue to hold Watch Night Services and Sunrise Services together each year.
St.. Mark A.M.E. continues to thrive under the dynamic leadership of Rev. Janice G. McMillian.
Information sourced from the St. Mark AME website